A Shoutout to the SM Team - Thanks

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Stereodoc

A Shoutout to the SM Team - Thanks

Post by Stereodoc »

I've been wanting to say this for some time.

a very very long time ago I was a Netscape Navigator Suite user. Loved that interface then it went away and was forced to use something else like Internet Explorer. Hated it with a passion. Came across Firefox and used it for some time but didn't like its look or that it didn't have an email client built into it. Somewhere along the way, I had heard that the Netscape Navigator Suite didn't necessarily go away but was resurrected and renamed to SeaMonkey. That's sort of what I remember from 25 plus years.

I like the fact that SM is obscure and not mainstream. That's it's allure to me. And if it ain't broke don't fix it or replace it.

Anyway, I have been a SM user for eons and despite a few hiccups here and there over the years, I have to say the SM Team does an outstanding job keeping SM alive and well and supporting its users. For what I think could be a thankless job in some respects in the support the team provides, on behalf of the many users of SM and myself, want to thank you for such a great interface and outstanding job you've done all these years keeping SM alive and up to date and the support you provide on a daily basis.

Great work everyone! Please keep it going!
Peter Creasey

Re: A Shoutout to the SM Team - Thanks

Post by Peter Creasey »

Well said. Strong ditto!
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
v_v

Post by v_v »

I will second and third all of the above!

And I will add kudos and appreciation to all of the users who step up to voluntarily assist other users too!!

v_v
therube

Post by therube »

:-).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
frg

Post by frg »

Thanks to all on behalf of the team.

It is an uphill battle but not ready to give up :D

FRG
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

FRG, good to hear!
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
davidb_sk

Post by davidb_sk »

Count me in as one of those who are appreciative of the SeaMonkey team's efforts. It's my default web browser, email client, web page composer and IRC client. I'll keep using it for as long as I can install it on my system. And this is coming from a guy who still uses his Commodore 128 to do his home finances! LOL!

All of you folks are awesome! :D
My current rig: Acer Aspire One D257, ALT Linux (Sisyphus x86_64), Window Maker (0.96.0), SeaMonkey (2.53.18.1)
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Echo all of the above.

I really appreciate having mail and internet in one application, that works pretty much the way it always did.

In things like this, consistency is king!
Joe1962

Post by Joe1962 »

Stereodoc wrote:I've been wanting to say this for some time.

a very very long time ago I was a Netscape Navigator Suite user. Loved that interface then it went away and was forced to use something else like Internet Explorer. Hated it with a passion. Came across Firefox and used it for some time but didn't like its look or that it didn't have an email client built into it. Somewhere along the way, I had heard that the Netscape Navigator Suite didn't necessarily go away but was resurrected and renamed to SeaMonkey. That's sort of what I remember from 25 plus years.
Actually, the Netscape navigator source code was released as open source and became the Mozilla Suite, from which Firefox branched off of. I went from Netscape to IE3, then SM Suite in beta days and never left again, however, I am forced to use FF temporarilly for more and more sites lately, and even some self-hosted web-apps here at work. Also, I have been stuck in SM 2.53.9, because newer versions break Youtube and even more stuff (like DownThemAll, which one of my must-haves).

Even with that version, when opening several Youtube tabs (yes, I am a gazillion-tab user) it grinds to a halt. Which is why I am replying in FF at the moment, LOL.

No matter, as the saying goes, they will have to pry my SeaMonkey from my cold, dead, hands. Or at least until after half the internet fails with SM, hehehe...
SM (usually latest stable) on Linux Mint 19 x86_64.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Joe1962 wrote: newer versions break Youtube
YouTube still works fine for me with SM 2.53.13.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
v_v

Post by v_v »

Joe1962,

If you haven't already, you might want to try the following user agent string override for youtube in SeaMonkey:

general.useragent.override.youtube.com --- Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0.

Many of us have found that that works wonders for youtube.

v_v
Joe1962

Post by Joe1962 »

Peter Creasey wrote:
Joe1962 wrote: newer versions break Youtube
YouTube still works fine for me with SM 2.53.13.
Sorry, it doesn't work. Everything stays sort of blank. Happily, it does work after the useragent fix suggested by v_v (2.53.9.1 worked without that).
Last edited by Joe1962 on September 26th, 2022, 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe1962

Post by Joe1962 »

v_v wrote:Joe1962,

If you haven't already, you might want to try the following user agent string override for youtube in SeaMonkey:

general.useragent.override.youtube.com --- Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0.

Many of us have found that that works wonders for youtube.

v_v

Thanks, that did the trick. And together with downthemall-was-legacy, I can now use 2.53.13.

Github (another site I use a lot)) is still broken, though, the dropdowns and click-downs (or whatever they are called) spin endlessly without loading anything. Oh well, nothing is perfect and at least I can stay up to date with SM now...
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Joe1962 wrote: Github (another site I use a lot)) is still broken, though, the dropdowns and click-downs (or whatever they are called) spin endlessly without loading anything.
https://github.com/JustOff/github-wc-po ... tag/1.2.19

Download the .xpi in another browser. Install it into SM by dragging the .xpi into the Addons Manager and you'll be ok after that.

Btw uBlock Origin adblocker is fairly essential for YouTube as well. I also have remote fonts blocked by uBlock for that site. Still loads slow, but slightly less so.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Joe1962

Post by Joe1962 »

Frank Lion wrote:
Joe1962 wrote: Github (another site I use a lot)) is still broken, though, the dropdowns and click-downs (or whatever they are called) spin endlessly without loading anything.
https://github.com/JustOff/github-wc-po ... tag/1.2.19

Download the .xpi in another browser. Install it into SM by dragging the .xpi into the Addons Manager and you'll be ok after that.
Wow! Many thanks for that. Never read about this addon before. Somewhat ironical that it's hosted on github to fix the SM github issue, LOL...
Frank Lion wrote:Btw uBlock Origin adblocker is fairly essential for YouTube as well. I also have remote fonts blocked by uBlock for that site. Still loads slow, but slightly less so.
Yes, I have used uBlock Origin for ages now. Will certainly check the remote fonts blocking though, we are behind a corporate proxy here and a lot of sites take ages "loading google fonts", etc...