TB 68.6.0 not installing profile missing

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Sparkie82

TB 68.6.0 not installing profile missing

Post by Sparkie82 »

Trying to install on new computer with existing profile to enable updates from 66.6.0 to latest (as previous listing.)
Started up, followed procedure to insert profile.
Made mistake, name did not match.
Removed default profile to accept existing profile from old computer.
Could not correct the existing profile name as TB no longer opened.
Uninstalled with Revo Uninstaller.
Tried clean copy of 91.1.1 as test-- same happened with correct profile name applied.
Message Cannot find or missing profile.
Tried and uninstalled several times but TB not opening.Uninstalled with Revo and removed left over registry settings in case this was the problem.
Tried several installs with further clean versions of 68.6.0.
None would open saying profile missing or cannot access so not possible to run TB to install my profile. I am out of ideas.
Any help most welcome.
Thank you.
DanRaisch

Re: TB 68.6.0 not installing profile missing

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Thunderbird Support.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... hunderbird
For a concise, less detailed version of the process, see this thread --
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1421375&p=7251375#p7251375

For an alternative approach, see tanstaafl's posts in this thread -- viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2942915&p=14209121#p14209121
Sparkie82

Post by Sparkie82 »

Thank you for the links but I dont think this helps me at this stage.
I have made a profile.
The main problem is that it is impossible to load a profile because the program will not load.
All I get is the missing profile message with no program or controls on the screen.

Why this is happening is unknown.
I have tried with a newly downloaded program file and also the file that was used on the old computer.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

If you read through the links you may have noted that Thunderbird uses a file named profiles.ini to identify the profile's location. If that file is copied over from a previous system and the Windows user name does not match that on the new computer, or if the profile directory name does not match, Thunderbird will not load. Find and review that file using a text editor and make any necessary corrections.
Sparkie82

Post by Sparkie82 »

Thank you for your help and patience, mine is starting to wear a bit thin with frustration after trying many hours over several days to overcome this problem. I am in my late eighties but still alert and bright. I have read through the links you kindly provided numerous times until ending up with brain fog each day from attempts.
I have a profile from my Windows 7 computer. I have installed / uninstalled clean copies of 68.6 numerous times now on the new Windows 10 computer (prior to any updates in the future). but there is no sign of a default profile or the profile.ini and the program will not open because it cannot find the profile even when I load a copy from a USB drive on to the desktop.
Obviously this version is located in Program files rather than the App Data of later versions noted in some of links.
Nothing seems to have gone right since first time install when I removed the original profile and tried to replace it with the saved profile and it shutdown before I could enter it. Big mistake. I would have thought a clean install would overcome such problems. I have never had these problems in the past moving through XP, 7, and 32 bit to 64 bit. There is no sign of the profile.ini in my existing Win 7 computer either but I understand this may only show up prior to install.
TB along side Mailwasher has served me well on POP 3 over many years and I would like it to continue. Where do I go from here?
Thanks.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

there is no sign of a default profile or the profile.ini and the program will not open because it cannot find the profile even when I load a copy from a USB drive on to the desktop.
What, specifically, are you loading to the desktop and from what directory on the source system did you copy the files?

Note that "The Application Data folder is a hidden [Windows] folder; to show hidden folders, open Windows Explorer and choose "Tools → Folder Options → View (tab) → Show hidden files and folders".
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Sparkie82,
Whilst in that section, just a couple down the list... make sure to UN-CHECK > "Hide extensions for known file types."

This should not have been checked & SET as the default by MS/Windows.

Very dangerous.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Sparkie82

Post by Sparkie82 »

Thanks for your time.
I made profiles using the Profile Manager, and also from the Menu\ Help\Troubleshooting Info through Thunderbird on the old computer Win 7. The Folder name being Profile. I also tried Default that showed in the Profile Manager. I am familiar with the Folder Options for hide/show files and system files in Win 7
Looking at the Windows directory (Win 7) I could not see an app data entry. (Most are programs not apps). I seem to have seen one somewhere in the distant past but cannot recall its location.

Transferring all connections to the new tower I am not too familiar with Win 10 yet but pressing Win+R brought me to the AppData. There was nothing entered for Mozilla Thunderbird. But of course it is not installed in a running state on this computer yet due to missing profile. There is not even a default one showing.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

The default Thunderbird profile folder will be found in the same directory location under both Win 7 and Win 10. See this link for the specific location -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folde ... 8.1_and_10
Sparkie82

Post by Sparkie82 »

I have tried both methods you mention and the Profile folder shows up in both.
Firstly on the old Win 7 computer from where they were copied, to be moved across and secondly on the Win 10 new computer where they also present.
Both methods were used to obtain the profile copies that I have already tried without success.
The question is why is T/B not using them?
I have also tried a copy of the Profile on the desktop and also another identical one named Default on the desktop.
I tried two clean copies of T/B one from my Program storage and a new one from the link given in the forum.
The big question is the problem something in the program or in the Windows registry?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

The big question is the problem something in the program or in the Windows registry?
I do not suspect either to be the case. pasting the transferred data to the desktop is not an expected or recommended procedure. The profile data should be pasted to a location with the same path and folder name on the target as it was copied from on the source machine. And the Win user name should be the same as well. In other words, if the original profile from the Win 7 system was found at
C:\Users\Sparkie82\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\abcdefgh.default the the data should be pasted to a folder C:\Users\Sparkie82\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\abcdefgh.default on the Win 10 system.
Sparkie82

Post by Sparkie82 »

Right, that's what I was trying to do first when I pasted in the new (old W7) Profile into the correct location but had to rename it to avoid conflict with the one in W10. But as soon as I pulled the the unwanted one out from the fresh install the program closed and I could not get back to alter the name. The program has never loaded since then even with a clean install. What is the correct procedure please at that point?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

had to rename it to avoid conflict with the one in W10.
And that is precisely the point: You should not be trying to introduce a new profile if you want to use data from the old one. The installation process on the W10 system should be aborted before entering the information to define email accounts. That will result in a "stub" profile being in place and the data from the W7 system should be use to overwrite that stub. viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2942915&p=14209121#p14209121
Sparkie82

Post by Sparkie82 »

Thank you, TB now working mail in and out. Disappointing to find TB did not set up completely. Address book and folders for aliased addresses in Inbox were not there.

1) I created three folders in Inbox but cannot find a way to send sorted mail to them automatically as previously. They are in Manage Identities.

2) How do I import my Address Book Can this be done with a plug in USB drive?
I don't want to get involved with spreadsheets and csv's unless forced to as I abandoned them decades ago.

3) Similarly copying existing mail from old computer. How?

4) I find it annoying having to have to log in with my ISP mail password each time I open TB when not having to do so on the old computer. My elderly wife finds this a problem.
My old computer uses Mailwasher upstream of TB which I will be adding next. Can this log in problem be eliminated?

5) Finally the text on the main screen is very small for people with sight problems. I tried increasing the Font size in Tools without any result. How can I do this?

I hope this is set out clearly so you can reply to my questions easily. Thanks.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

How was the old installation of TB set up, as POP or IMAP?
How is the new profile set up, as POP or IMAP?