Switching to Fx 115esr

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
forvdr2

Switching to Fx 115esr

Post by forvdr2 »

I'm trying to switch from Waterfox to Fx 115esr, because some of the sites I work at don't accept Waterfox. I had been using Fx with XUL for maybe 20 years, a very different UI, before Waterfox. I've lost all my extensions. :-( I'm totally confused by the new GUI.

1--My pages are all-white with no boxes and few lines separating anything. There are no lines separating the themes on the add-on site. There is no demarcation between tabs. I want to attach an image, but I've forgotten how.

2--When I choose a theme, it's gone when I restart the program

3--I transferred my logins,places.sqlite and bookmarks from my WF profile to the new Fx profile, but not all the bookmarks are there, and none of the logins show up.

4--Is there an option for having the active tab in another color?
I've forgotten how to attach an image from my computer
Windows 7, Firefox 115ESR, Chrome, Waterfox Classic,
forvdr2

Re: Switching to Fx 115esr

Post by forvdr2 »

(slight mistake in my sig: I've removed the old Firefox68)
therube

Post by therube »

Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

For #1: If you don't see any background colors, it can be a "high contrast" problem. See: https://support.mozilla.org/kb/disable-high-contrast-mode-firefox. That said, it's normal in Firefox 89+ that there's no separators between background tabs. This can't be fixed with a theme, it requires a userChrome.css hack.

For #2, that's strange. Do regular extensions disappear, or only themes? What about other kinds of settings?

For #3, did you transfer key4.db? It is needed to decrypt the passwords in the logins.json file. If your profile was really ancient, perhaps it only had a key3.db file? places.sqlite should have all the bookmarks. If you copied over the bookmarkbackups folder, you could check the contents of the backups using my tool here: https://www.jeffersonscher.com/ffu/bookbackreader.html.

For #4, using a theme or the Firefox Color add-on.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Support for key3.db ended with Firefox 73, Firefox 58 and newer use key4.db.
If you have a key3.db and not a key4.db then you need to do a custom install of a version like Firefox 72.0.2 and create a new profile and put logins.json and key3.db files in this profile.
You can copy logins.json and key4.db that got created in 72.0.2 to your current profile.
forvdr2

Post by forvdr2 »

The Rube:

I'll skip he part about creating my own theme.

I'm not a newbie. I've been at this site as Lovemyfoxy for 22 years, but I can no longer login.

I already copied logins, permissions, places.sqlite from my WaterFox profile to the new profile. But the logins still don't show.
I haven't used the old Fx in 4 years, everything's outdated. I copied the logins from Waterfox.

The new profile has a key4.db. I copied over the key.db from Waterfox, but it's dated 2018. The one in my old Fx profile is also dated 2018, and they're identical in size.

My screenshot of my homepage. https://imgur.com/a/HFElEdb
Last edited by forvdr2 on April 6th, 2024, 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
forvdr2

Post by forvdr2 »

J. Scher--I remember all you guys from when I used to have Firefox. I've been on this forum since 2002.

1--I can't write a css code, I've always relied on someone else making it for me.

2--I have only the extensions Adblocker Plus and Colorful tabs.

3--I just transferred the key.db, but from my old Fx, but it's dated 2018. So is the one in my Waterfox.

4--I've just chosen the theme Lollipop Road. I don't know how to coordinate it with Colorful tabs.

Second screenshot https://imgur.com/a/u5wMFn3 These should all be boxed
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You can temporarily set signon.debug to true in about:config.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ab ... or-firefox

You can open about:logins or close and restart Firefox and check the Browser Console for login related messages.
https://firefox-source-docs.mozilla.org ... r_console/

Do not forget to reset signon.debug to false once you are done testing.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

If dickvl's suggestions do not persuade Firefox to convert the old logins file, you could feed them to a tool like the following to extract them, and then rebuild your passwords manually:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/passwordfox.html
forvdr2

Post by forvdr2 »

I tried signon.debug to "true." Here's what the browser Console says about logins. For some reason it won't let me copy the whole message, so I made it into an image: https://imgur.com/a/5cxyp2o

They're working now. I have only about half of them, but I'll have to key in the others.

I removed the theme, but my pages are still totally white, with no colors and no divisions where there should be boxes. It's unusable to me. Is Firefox like this now, or it it me?

Actually I also have to transfer 110 more logins from Bitwarden, which is no longer working on Win 7.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

I noticed in your screenshot that you filtered for plural logins and not single login what probably would have shown more messages.
CBA

Post by CBA »

forvdr2 wrote: April 6th, 2024, 5:31 pm 1--I can't write a css code, I've always relied on someone else making it for me.
Hi there. I'm on 115.9.1 ESR and I'm using the following CSS Code. Once you sorted out the basics, you can play with it and adjust as you see fit. The code is from people (smarter than I .. :lol: ) in this forum, Mozilla, Reddit and others .. and it works for me.

Code: Select all

/* Adjust Bookmarks Toolbar Height */
#PersonalToolbar {
  margin-top: -3px !important;
  margin-bottom: 0px !important;
}

/* Disable Extensions Icon from Toolbar */
#unified-extensions-button, #unified-extensions-button > .toolbarbutton-icon {
width: 0px !important;
padding: 0px !important;
}

/* Adjust Print Preview Size */
.dialogBox[sizeto="available"] {
  margin-top: unset !important; /* remove dialog overlap */
  max-width: unset !important;
  max-height: unset !important;
  border-radius: unset !important; /* remove rounded corners */
}

/* Hide Tab bar with only one Tab - [110] */
#tabbrowser-tabs .tabbrowser-tab:only-of-type,
#tabbrowser-tabs .tabbrowser-tab:only-of-type + #tabbrowser-arrowscrollbox-periphery {display:none !important;}
#tabbrowser-tabs, #tabbrowser-arrowscrollbox {min-height:0!important;}

/* #TabsToolbar:not(:hover) */
#alltabs-button {display:none !important;}

/* make the tabs smaller - similar to the old compact mode */
.toolbar-items, .tabbrowser-tab {
  max-height: 28px;
}
:root[uidensity=touch] .toolbar-items, .tabbrowser-tab {
  max-height: 26px;
}

/* Show top border line on the selected tab */
.tab-background[selected="true"] {
	border-top: 2px solid #3d9ce9 !important;
}

/* If you want the background tabs to also have borders */
.tabbrowser-tab:not([selected="true"]) > .tab-stack > .tab-background {
  border: 1px solid rgba(130, 130, 130, 0.5) !important;
}

/* Remove unnecessary padding that was not there before */
.tabbrowser-tab {
    padding-inline: 0px !important;
}

/* Other tab related changes like height, touching the bar */
:root {
  --tab-min-height: 28px !important; /* Height from before photon */
  --tab-block-margin: 0px !important; /* Tabs should touch the bar */
  --tab-shadow-max-size: 0px !important; /* Leftmost tab when unselected is closer
    to the left (default: 8px in Proton)*/
  --tab-border-radius: 0px !important; /* Remove rounded corners */
  --tabs-border-color: none; /* Removes fine line between toolbar and tab background */
}

/* Tighten up drop-down/context/popup menu spacing */
menupopup > menuitem, 
menupopup > menu {
  padding-block: 2px !important; /* reduce to 3px, 2px, 1px or 0px as needed */ 
  min-height: 22px !important; /* v115: Bookmarks Toolbar drop-down spacing like v96 */
}
:root {
  --arrowpanel-menuitem-padding: 2px 4px !important;
}
forvdr2

Post by forvdr2 »

dickvl wrote: April 10th, 2024, 6:14 pm I noticed in your screenshot that you filtered for plural logins and not single login what probably would have shown more messages.
I don't know what you mean.

BTW--re: the lack of color on my pages, This was the screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/u5wMFn3

and this is what a similar page should have looked like. https://imgur.com/a/h2RlNHa

I do work for that company, and the lack of color and boxes is a problem. I'm timed on my work.
Last edited by forvdr2 on April 16th, 2024, 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
forvdr2

Post by forvdr2 »

CBA:
I can use these. I don't know what the other options do. And I can't tweak things myself.

/* Show top border line on the selected tab */
.tab-background[selected="true"] {
border-top: 2px solid #3d9ce9 !important;
/* If you want the background tabs to also have borders */
.tabbrowser-tab:not([selected="true"]) > .tab-stack > .tab-background {
border: 1px solid rgba(130, 130, 130, 0.5) !important;

I've put them into userchrome, restarted the program, but there's no difference.

I think I'm going to find another browser. I'm going to be forced to get a new machine with Win 11 soon, and I need a usable browser.
CBA

Post by CBA »

Note that userChrome.css must be written this way .. and placed in a folder named chrome in your profile folder.

And, too, you need to make sure that (on the about:config page) the toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets preference is set to true .. and then restart the browser.

Sorry, I have no time to guide you further .. others will help you out.

PS: under the circumstances maybe you should ask someone "close by" to physically help you to set up and configure your Fx 115 ESR. That's what I would do. :D