Sunbird new entries

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
MozillaMonkey

Sunbird new entries

Post by MozillaMonkey »

Is there a setting to tell Sunbird that when I make a new calendar entry, say for Apr-2, 2024, I want the entry for just that one day?
Currently it will always make the entry for two consecutive days (Apr-2, 2024 and Apr-3, 2024).

I noticed that Options/Config Editor has tons of settings. Perhaps I can set this somewhere in there?
v_v

Re: Sunbird new entries

Post by v_v »

MozillaMonkey,

Humorously, I just installed Sunbird Portable 1.0 beta rev 2 after reading your post. I have never used Sunbird before but I have the Calendar portion of SeaMonkey 2.53.18.2 and also the Lightbird Calendar running off of SeaMonkey Portable 2.53.15. I have just imported my ".ics" file from those two calendars into Sunbird and all seems to work well and seamlessly.

So as I look at possibly setting a new event in Sunbird it appears to work just like the other two calendars:

1. I clicked new Event;
2. In the "Start" and "End" entries I get the same date; for instance today is 4-28-2024 and both the Start and End entries have this date;
3. When I changed the Start date to 5-2-2024 both my Start and End entries seem to change to 5-2-2024;
4. However after changing the Start date to 5-2-2024 I can change the End date to something other than 5-2-24 if I wish; so I changed it to 5-9-204; now I have a Start date 5-2-2024 and End date 5-9-2024;
5. After doing this if I now change the Start date backwards to 4-29-2024 I noticed that the End date automatically changed to 5-6-2024; so Sunbird appears to automatically keep the ' 7 day span ' between the Start date and End date of step # 4 above;
6. Then I changed the End date back to 4-29-2024; so now once again my Start and End dates are synchronized back at the same date, 4-29-2024;
7. From this synchronized sameness I changed the Start date to 5-10-24 and sure enough the End date automatically changed to 5-10-2024 also;
8. Then I changed to End date to 5-30-2024 to go along with that Start date of 5-10-2024;
9. So to repeat step # 4 above I changed the Start date backwards to 4-30-2024 and I noticed that the End date automatically changed to 5-20-2024 maintaining the ' 20 day span ' between the Start date and End date of step # 8 above.

So having done this exercise I am going to guess that at some point you set up an event with a consecutive ' 2 day span ' and that Sunbird is automatically maintaining that span every time you set a new Start date. BUT all you have to do is to manually change the End date to whatever you want. So if you want your Start date at "4-2-2024" and Sunbird then automatically gives you an End date of "4-3-2024" then simply manually change the End date to 4-2-2024. (Of course 4-2-2024 and 4-3-2024 have already passed so make sure to use future dates.)

Maybe this helps a little bit---or maybe not!

v_v
MozillaMonkey

Post by MozillaMonkey »

v_v wrote: April 28th, 2024, 3:27 pm MozillaMonkey,

Humorously, I just installed Sunbird Portable 1.0 beta rev 2 after reading your post. I have never used Sunbird before but I have the Calendar portion of SeaMonkey 2.53.18.2 and also the Lightbird Calendar running off of SeaMonkey Portable 2.53.15. I have just imported my ".ics" file from those two calendars into Sunbird and all seems to work well and seamlessly.

So as I look at possibly setting a new event in Sunbird it appears to work just like the other two calendars:

1. I clicked new Event;
2. In the "Start" and "End" entries I get the same date; for instance today is 4-28-2024 and both the Start and End entries have this date;
3. When I changed the Start date to 5-2-2024 both my Start and End entries seem to change to 5-2-2024;
4. However after changing the Start date to 5-2-2024 I can change the End date to something other than 5-2-24 if I wish; so I changed it to 5-9-204; now I have a Start date 5-2-2024 and End date 5-9-2024;

Maybe this helps a little bit---or maybe not!

v_v
Thanks for taking the time to experiment with this!
Sorry for the late reply but I don't visit FF forums very often and for some reason I am not getting
notified when there are new replies, even though I have the box checked to notify me!

I just tested out a bunch of new appointments in the calendar, using your method.
Unfortunately it doesn't work for me. :(

Each and every time when I go to input a new entry, the end date is always the day after the entry date.
If I change the end date to say, 5 days later and save it, and then try to create a new entry, the end
date is not 5 days later! It goes back to the next day. :(
v_v

Post by v_v »

MozillaMonkey,

I can hardly remember now what the gist was of my experiments with Sunbird back on 4-28-2024. But I am going to guess that my basic point was that apparently you will always have to manually change the end date of a new entry to whatever you want it to be. That is the way that I am reading the following sentence in the last paragraph of my "April 28th, 2024, 3:27 pm" post:
BUT all you have to do is to manually change the End date to whatever you want.
v_v
MozillaMonkey

Post by MozillaMonkey »

v_v wrote: June 2nd, 2024, 6:27 pm MozillaMonkey,

I can hardly remember now what the gist was of my experiments with Sunbird back on 4-28-2024. But I am going to guess that my basic point was that apparently you will always have to manually change the end date of a new entry to whatever you want it to be. That is the way that I am reading the following sentence in the last paragraph of my "April 28th, 2024, 3:27 pm" post:
BUT all you have to do is to manually change the End date to whatever you want.
v_v
OK thanks.
When I started to read your post it sounded promising because you mentioned you were about to fiddle around with it in such a way that it remembered your last spread of dates for the appointment.
So if your spread was 5 days, the next time you entered an appointment it would default to a five day spread.

But that's not the way mine behaves.

It always goes back to a one day spread for some reason. It thinks I want all appointments to be for today and tomorrow, ;(

Oh well.
MozillaMonkey

Post by MozillaMonkey »

I'm not really sure what's going on, but for the past few weeks it has settled down again and is almost always
giving a one-day entry instead of two.

It would be nice though to figure out how it works, so I could be in control of the setting.