Local folder Add-on question

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
edmiller

Local folder Add-on question

Post by edmiller »

Hi, I have installed the Local Folder Add-on (TB 115.8.1, win 11) and I have some problems:
I have transferred a bunch (about 10 years) of old folders to a new location and all the SEND folders are missing, my fault, because I did not specify that they be transferred because they were sub-folders and I assumed they'd automatically be transferred with their respective main folder. The problem is, they are all gone in the source folders too. Is that normal or is that Add-on just crappy? Have I just lost 10 years worth of email replies?
DanRaisch

Re: Local folder Add-on question

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? That is, is the "source folder" on the server or only on the local computer?
Somewhere on the right coast.
edmiller

Post by edmiller »

It's POP.
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

edmiller wrote: July 10th, 2024, 6:26 am It's POP.
Do you have any back-ups of your profile?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

It's somewhat doubtful but, depending on settings in TB, some messages could have been left on the server. Have you logged into the account using a browser to see if that may be a source to recover at least some messages?
Somewhere on the right coast.
edmiller

Post by edmiller »

I do have some older backups.
I don't think there are messages still on the server.
It seems to me that this add-on does not work right! If it does not transfer sub-folders AND automatically deletes those sub-folders from the source, it's crap!
edmiller

Post by edmiller »

There's one other thing re the location: I moved those folders to a different drive to free up space on the C drive. But it appears that the folders in questions are still in the profiles folder on C, just in a different location in the left folder column of TB. What sense does that make, if any?