Thunderbird 1.1 Alpha 2 Release Candidate

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
mscott

Thunderbird 1.1 Alpha 2 Release Candidate

Post by mscott »

Our Alpha 2 release candidate is now available for testing.

Would be great if a couple folks could give these bits a whirl on the various platforms. The hope is to release Alpha 2 this evening if nothing critical (for an alpha) shows up!

<a href="http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/nightly/2005-07-12-09-trunk/">Windows</a>
<a href="http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/nightly/2005-07-12-05-trunk/">Linux</a>
<a href="http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/nightly/2005-07-12-05-trunk/ ">Mac OS X</a>

Thanks everyone!
-Scott

P.S. I think I fixed all the problems with the zip builds from the last few days.
Last edited by mscott on July 15th, 2005, 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thunderbirds are Go!
steno

Post by steno »

Problem: Cant Write or Reply, Im getting an error box with this: An Error occurred while creating a message compose window. Please try again.
Platform: Windows XP (using an 1.02 profile, but clean folder)
smartcat99s

Post by smartcat99s »

steno wrote:Problem: Cant Write or Reply, Im getting an error box with this: An Error occurred while creating a message compose window. Please try again.
Platform: Windows XP (using an 1.02 profile, but clean folder)

From bug 300527:
------- Additional Comment #3 From Scott MacGregor 2005-07-12 16:26 PDT [reply] -------

this appears to be a problem with .zip builds only and that's not something we
officially support so this isn't an alpha 2 blocker.

I had to completely remove TB and reinstall for it to work again. :(
msfluffymuffin

Post by msfluffymuffin »

My work around for the error "An Error occurred while creating a message compose window. Please try again." was to add these two files to my chrome folder:-

app-chrome.manifest
US.jar

This seemed to fix it for me, I can now write emails, through one of my accounts lost its stored password, I dont know if this is related or not, but Thunderbird seems to be working perfectly for me, oh I guess I should add my OS is Windows XP Pro.

Hugs,
Fluffy xxx
mscott

Post by mscott »

I was able to fix it by just adding app-chrome.manifest

Can you make sure that adding just that file (and not US.jar) fixed it for you too msfluffymuffin?
Thunderbirds are Go!
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

Well I thought I'd give it a go how ever I tried installing the MSI and the EXE version and I cannot get TB to run. I uninstalled version 1.0.5 (20050712) US Branch before I tried the install but no luck. I have uninstalled from ADD/REMOVE programs and gone back to version 1.0.5 (20050712) and all is back and normal.

Is there something I need to do
"I want to know God's thoughts... ...the rest are details"
Albert Einstein
msfluffymuffin

Post by msfluffymuffin »

@ mscott: Yes, just adding app-chrome.manifest worked for me, everything seems to be working fine :o)

Hmmm, I noticed yesterday that my Junk Mail system hasnt been working, didnt notice it had stopped marking mail as spam, I guess I got used to Spampal and the filters catching all the spam, I have reset my training data, maybe its just the spam has changed and the data needs to be re-trained :o/

Hugs,
Fluffy xoxox
msfluffymuffin

Post by msfluffymuffin »

Just tried the updater, I get this error message "AUS: Update XML File Not Found (404)".

Just like to add that I'm using the Zip builds currently.

Hugs,
Fluffy xoxox
[BISI]

Post by [BISI] »

TonyE: Actually the MSI builds are buggy, like you said. The whole installation puts two items into the registry (as seen in the add/remove dialog) - the normal Thunderbird 1.0+ item and an unexpected Thunderbird Installer item. Perhaps bsmedberg will fix the msi builds since it's stated, that this is the only requirement left for the 1.1 builds in the corporate deployment part of 1.1 development (for which bsmedberg seems to be responsible).
I like chickens. Lots of them. Every day.
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

[BISI] Thanks for the reply, doesn't really explain why I can't get the exe version to run at all either though?? I'm wondering if it has something to do with the fact I have been running US Branch for a while but I should think that if they are to release a (candidate??) it should install easily however I can't make either of them work sigh :-(
"I want to know God's thoughts... ...the rest are details"
Albert Einstein
[BISI]

Post by [BISI] »

TonyE: I'll try your scenario as soon as I can (my cheap dev laptop is still building tb)... You could provide some more information about your tb in the meantime (e.g. are you using any extensions or other profile-specific things, that could mess up a new installation?).

And by the way, this definitely is a Release Candidate, but it's an Alpha Release Candidate! Yes, alpha and release candidate together is weird. :)
I like chickens. Lots of them. Every day.
smartcat99s

Post by smartcat99s »

adding app-chrome.manifest fixed the zip builds on windows here.
Folding for a cure - Stats - Team 11108
mscott

Post by mscott »

Any Linux users out there?

Can some of you download the Linux RC:

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... 686.tar.gz

And tell me if they are able to open a compose window?

(Those of you using Windows ZIP builds, we know about that problem and it's gonna be fixed for beta). I'm trying to figure out how pervasive the problem is on Linux.

Thanks!
Thunderbirds are Go!
RickFriedman

Post by RickFriedman »

mscott wrote:Any Linux users out there?

Can some of you download the Linux RC:

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... 686.tar.gz

And tell me if they are able to open a compose window?

(Those of you using Windows ZIP builds, we know about that problem and it's gonna be fixed for beta). I'm trying to figure out how pervasive the problem is on Linux.

Thanks!

Scott,

I just tried running the Linux RC on Debian Sid. First, several extensions were declared incompatible and, therefore, disabled (jsLib 0.1.290, TB In-line Spell Checker 0.4.75, Sender Verification Extension 0.7.0.20050507, Enigmail 0.91.0). I guess that's to be expected until the extension authors update them.
More importantly, I am unable to open a compose window. Following are the messages that display in a terminal window when trying to open a compose window:

Code: Select all

(Gecko:16360): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_from_drawable: assertion `gdk_window_is_viewable (src)' failed

(Gecko:16360): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_n_channels: assertion `pixbuf != NULL' failed

(Gecko:16360): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_bits_per_sample: assertion `pixbuf != NULL' failed

(Gecko:16360): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_width: assertion `pixbuf != NULL' failed

(Gecko:16360): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_height: assertion `pixbuf != NULL' failed

(Gecko:16360): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_rowstride: assertion `pixbuf != NULL' failed

(Gecko:16360): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(Gecko:16360): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_from_drawable: assertion `gdk_window_is_viewable (src)' failed

(Gecko:16360): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_n_channels: assertion `pixbuf != NULL' failed

(Gecko:16360): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_bits_per_sample: assertion `pixbuf != NULL' failed

(Gecko:16360): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_width: assertion `pixbuf != NULL' failed

(Gecko:16360): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_height: assertion `pixbuf != NULL' failed

(Gecko:16360): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_rowstride: assertion `pixbuf != NULL' failed

(Gecko:16360): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

Actually, I just tried to read email and am unable to open an email window. The errors are:

Code: Select all

I hope this helps!

Rick
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.0.7) Gecko/20060911 SUSE/1.5.0.7-1.5 Firefox/1.5.0.7
mscott

Post by mscott »

So Rick, you get a dialog that says "Unable to open a compose window"?

One last favor, if you put this file:

in Thunderbird's chrome directory (along side files like classic.jar, messenger.jar, etc)
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=189132

Can you then open a compose window?
Thunderbirds are Go!